Subject: Re: Trying to install on an MVME167
To: Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org>
From: Steve Woodford <scw@netbsd.org>
List: port-mvme68k
Date: 06/10/2005 09:55:26
On Thursday 09 June 2005 16:56, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> That problem out of the way, I'm now running into another one. When
> trying to boot, my machine gives an "Access Fault" Exception[0]. I
> assume this is what the FAQ[1] talks about; however, when looking for
> the jumper on the board, I see that J1 is actually a set of 8 jumpers,
> numbered from 1/2 to 15/16.

J1 is indeed a group of 8 jumpers. You need to remove the jumper between
pins 1/2 of J1. However, the kernel *should* print a message (then exit)
when it starts up if you forget to remove this jumper so I doubt that's
your problem.

I suspect the real fix will be to write zero (32-bits) to address
0xfffc0000 of the NVRAM. This location, together with 0xfffc0004,
specifies the start/length of any RAM present on the VMEbus which is to
be made available to NetBSD. Writing 0x00000000 to 0xfffc0000 using
Bug's "mm" command will disable this feature.

Cheers, Steve