Subject: Trying to install on an MVME167
To: None <port-mvme68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org>
List: port-mvme68k
Date: 06/09/2005 17:56:03
Hi,

I've been trying over the last few days to install NetBSD on my VME
system, but have thus far been unsuccessful.

My first problem had to do with the fact that I had physically put
/dev/rsd0b before /dev/rsd0a on my disk, and apparently NetBSD doesn't
support that. It'd be nice if the installation instructions could be
updated to reflect this.

That problem out of the way, I'm now running into another one. When
trying to boot, my machine gives an "Access Fault" Exception[0]. I
assume this is what the FAQ[1] talks about; however, when looking for
the jumper on the board, I see that J1 is actually a set of 8 jumpers,
numbered from 1/2 to 15/16.

It's unclear to me whether I have to remove all of them, or just one
specific jumper; also, the PDF documents which used to be on the
Motorola site appear to have been removed, and the only copy I had was
lost when someone stole my laptop, now almost a year ago.

If someone could provide me with some more information, and/or the lost
PDF files, that'd be nice.

[0] full output on request, but I don't think that's necessary given the
    FAQ entry (and don't find my mouse right now, so copy-and-paste is
    rather cumbersome).
[1] http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mvme68k/faq.html#mvme167_crash_on_boot

pavement is precisely one bananosecond