Subject: Re: Trouble netbooting MVME167B
To: Henning Kiel <kiel@physik.uni-dortmund.de>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
List: port-mvme68k
Date: 08/11/2003 12:22:03
Hi !

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Henning Kiel wrote:
> Maybe I expressed myself badly. I have NFS running and exported
> /tftpboot/disk for the MVME. And a kernel "netbsd" is also in there.

If your server is a BSD-box and you have exports for the same physical FS also
active, it might not export /tftpboot/disk. Check

showmount -e

on your NFS server

Just an example how to tweak NFS a bit here:

/export -alldirs -network 192.168.177/24 -noresvport

This is global stuff for /export/home and so. root gets nobody here.

/export/netinst/boot/mvme -maproot=root test.unixiron.org

This is the same physical FS, but i need real root here. So this is just for
one specific hosts. Different options -> export of same FS part possible.

There are even more exports in a similar way, but i know there were lots of
problems. So, if you export /cdrom without having a cdrom mounted, you export
part of / here, where i assume your /tftpboot also. If youe export /tftpboot
after /cdrom in /etc/exports, this can lead into trouble. Check
/var/log/messages and showmount to verify everything is okay.

I assume you know you have to HUP mountd after changing exports.

> I guess "filename..." is not needed? or is it a typo and should be
> .../netbsd?

to be complete here:

                        host test {
                                hardware ethernet 08:00:09:08:5c:cf;
                                fixed-address test;
                                filename "/export/netinst/boot/hp300/netbsd";
                                option root-path "/export/netinst/boot/hp300";
                        }

Okay, another box, this entry is changed from time to time and not in sync with
the above exports line. There is a similar line for hp300 in there also.

...Michael

--
http://www.unixiron.org/    Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX