Subject: Re: Trouble netbooting MVME167B
To: Henning Kiel <kiel@physik.uni-dortmund.de>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
List: port-mvme68k
Date: 08/08/2003 16:19:06
Hi !

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Henning Kiel wrote:
> > DHCP should work fine, together with an NFS server.
>
> Ok, will try that. Do you know a way to insure that my own dhcp server
> services that MVME, instead of someone else's?

If your DHCP server is faster, you have a chance. The first offer is taken. But
do you want to deliver your own address in a DHCP-controlled network? What, if
someone else already owns this address?

I think you should setup some very local network, your boot server (including
DHCP and NFS) and your MVME. Not more. After installation, you have no trouble
with DHCP just delivering you an address, so your uni DHCP server will work
fine.

> > ISTR you said your NVRAM battery is dead, in which case you'll probably
> > need to run "niot" and "env" to configure things correctly.
>
> okay, I have three more of these chips, so let's look if one works...
> And this ERROR only means "battery empty/could not write to nvram"?
> Could think of a more descriptive warning...

The 147 tells something of "unreliable read/write to NVRAM" or so. Dead NVRAM
is a bit of evil. But look what i did with my 147 NVRAM then:

http://www.unixiron.org/techtips/nvram

...Michael

--
http://www.unixiron.org/    Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX