Subject: Re: Trouble netbooting MVME167B
To: Henning Kiel <kiel@physik.uni-dortmund.de>
From: Steve Woodford <scw@netbsd.org>
List: port-mvme68k
Date: 08/08/2003 14:35:46
On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Henning Kiel wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Steve Woodford wrote:
> > Did you configure the board exactly as described in the "Preparing your
> > System for NetBSD installation" section of the installation guide. The
> > jumper setting (J1 on the MVME167) is important.
>
> Hum... okay, I just removed it. BTW: is there a reason to do so?

It controls what region of memory Bug uses for its scratch area. With the
jumper in place, Bug uses the region of SDRAM where NetBSD's bootloader
would like to load the kernel. Since the bootloader uses some of Bug's
internal services to do this, Bad Things happen if that memory is
scribbled on.

> > ISTR you said your NVRAM battery is dead, in which case you'll probably
> > need to run "niot" and "env" to configure things correctly.
>
> okay, I have three more of these chips, so let's look if one works...
> And this ERROR only means "battery empty/could not write to nvram"?

The NVRAM simply turns into volatile RAM, so any configuration is likely
to be lost across a power-cycle.

Cheers, Steve