Subject: Re: Trouble netbooting MVME167B
To: Steve Woodford <scw@netbsd.org>
From: Henning Kiel <kiel@physik.uni-dortmund.de>
List: port-mvme68k
Date: 08/08/2003 15:26:27
On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Steve Woodford wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Henning Kiel wrote:
>
> > I already installed rpc.bootparamd, but the MVME does not connect to it it
> > seems. What services do I need to install to proceed?
>
> DHCP should work fine, together with an NFS server.

Ok, will try that. Do you know a way to insure that my own dhcp server
services that MVME, instead of someone else's?

> > Also when I try to update the NVRAM (with network setting eg.) I get:
> > ERROR: Invalid Network Auto Boot Configuration Parameters Pointer (NVRAM)
> >
> > Any idea what this means?
>
> Did you configure the board exactly as described in the "Preparing your
> System for NetBSD installation" section of the installation guide. The
> jumper setting (J1 on the MVME167) is important.

Hum... okay, I just removed it. BTW: is there a reason to do so?
I didn't find any notice. Would be nice to know why to change the factory
settings ;-)

> ISTR you said your NVRAM battery is dead, in which case you'll probably
> need to run "niot" and "env" to configure things correctly.

okay, I have three more of these chips, so let's look if one works...
And this ERROR only means "battery empty/could not write to nvram"?
Could think of a more descriptive warning...

Chau,
Henning