Subject: Re: Trouble netbooting MVME167B
To: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
From: Henning Kiel <kiel@physik.uni-dortmund.de>
List: port-mvme68k
Date: 08/08/2003 14:59:36
Hi

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Michael Kukat wrote:

> env;d is for setting the defaults in NVRAM
> for jumpers see the FAQ in the NetBSD area somewhere, for details, you have
> to consult the VMEbus docs i think.
>
> > I'll double check the termination and jumpers... (I also tried the
> > transition module from the old 147, which *must* have been ok, because it
> > worked. But then I'm not 110% sure if the module is supposed to work with
> > the 167)
>
> It should. I swapped my 147 for the 167 with success today during breakfast to
> test if it boots :)

Okay, I forgot to add SCSI terminators on this P2 module (were set on
other one, so I'm not sure why the disk didn't work there :-/ )
Anyway, now I was able to read from the disk. All of a sudden networking
also works. I successfully loaded the 'netboot' file from my tftp server.

But then nothing happens (if I have only "local" network).
If I connect the server and client(MVME) to the uni net, I get an answer
from a dhcp(?) server (at least the machine is known to serve dhcp).

I already installed rpc.bootparamd, but the MVME does not connect to it it
seems. What services do I need to install to proceed?

Also when I try to update the NVRAM (with network setting eg.) I get:
ERROR: Invalid Network Auto Boot Configuration Parameters Pointer (NVRAM)

Any idea what this means?

Chau,
Henning