Subject: Re: mvme68k switched to ELF object file format
To: Steve Woodford <scw@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mvme68k
Date: 12/10/2000 08:29:10
On Sat, 9 Dec 2000, Steve Woodford wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Dec 2000, Todd Vierling wrote:
>
> > On m68k, COMPAT_AOUT_M68K is translating more than the pathnames of
> > libraries.  (It's not just COMPAT_AOUT.)

OK. Thanks for explaining that.

> Although, I must admit that I *am* considering nuking the pathname
> translation side of things. For folks upgrading, we can provide a
> pre-compiled compatibility ld.so which looks up a.out shared libs in
> something other than /usr/lib. The i386 port has already set a precedent
> for this...

It's not i386 dependent. Your procedure would be better if it *moved*
the shared libraries to under /emul/aout, instead of copying them.
That way, ldconfig's cache would have the libraries under /emul/aout
in the first place, and you would't have to re-run "ldconfig"
everytime you overwrote an aout shared library with an ELF one.

Nuking the pathname translation would be good, IMO. While we're on the
subject, there was some discussion on moving the aout libs somewhere
else besides /emul/aout. FreeBSD evidently uses /usr/lib/compat/aout.

I have some thoughts on the compat packages, too. It would be ideal if
there were *one* compat package that supported every previous system,
versioned the same as the latest base system it supports. I could add
a target to the package -- intended to run on NetBSD-1.4.3 -- to
generate the distile by untarring the old compat packages and moving
files into /usr/lib/compat/aout or /usr/lib as required, and tarring
them up. I would put all the aout libs in /usr/lib/compat/aout, and
have /emul/aout/usr/lib be a symlink to that. This would greatly
simplify future maintenance of the compat packages -- all that would
need to be done is to bump the version and update the PLIST's.

Frederick