Subject: [Fwd: Major Simulator OEM Sings the NVRAM Blues]
To: port-mvme68k@netbsd.org <port-mvme68k@netbsd.org>
From: Will B Wellman <wbwellman@link.com>
List: port-mvme68k
Date: 11/16/2000 06:46:29
--------------41EED56699B3CE2CA854B5D0

Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 06:42:33 -0600
From: "Will B. Wellman" <wbwellman@hti.com>
To: Steve Woodford <steve@mctavish.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Major Simulator OEM Sings the NVRAM Blues

--------------D78B18BB3789C3B145AC33D5

Hello Steve.
Thankyou for taking the time to respond to this query.  My interest is precisely
the NVRAM and the unreachability problem.  We have had our MVME147S boards long
enough for the embedded batteries in the timekeeper to fail.  We can replace the
NVRAM with a modern replacement, but it destroys our ability to network the
board.  My guess is the Y2K monster has boomeranged on us in that the new NVRAMs
are Y2K compliant, and the old MVME147Ss are not.  The parity that results in
date representation renders the board to stand-alone processing status.  The
ethernet connection will no longer function as a network connection, even though
all self-testing passes (including loopback to the ethernet.)
Is there any synergy between our trials, and the trials at NetBSD to reach the
address space occupied by the timekeeper?
Thanx again for your time.
Kind regards & RSVP,
Brown

Steve Woodford wrote:

> > On Wed, Nov 15, 2000, Will B Wellman wrote:
> > > I could not help but notice on your web page
> > > http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mvme68k/boards.html that you support all the
> > > MVME boards' hardware except for the NVRAM.  What a coincidence!  Are
> > > you struggling with the timekeeper chip like we are?  If so, please drop
>
> Hi Will,
>
> I guess the webpage is a bit unclear. mvme68k *does* support the
> timekeeper chip's "clock" section. The `unsupported' part is the actual
> NVRAM, in that there's no way to access it from user-space (yet). ;-)
>
> Cheers, Steve

--------------D78B18BB3789C3B145AC33D5

begin:vcard
n:Wellman;Will