Subject: Re: A few exploratory questions.
To: Anthony DeLorenzo <gonzo@vex.net>
From: Steve Woodford <steve@mctavish.co.uk>
List: port-mvme68k
Date: 07/06/2000 21:49:03
On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Anthony DeLorenzo wrote:

> 1) Are there any (commonly found, cheaply available) devices to scavenge
> these motorola boards from?  Otherwise, where is the best place to procure
> them cheaply?

Check the various internet auction sites for keywords like 'vme*' and
'mvme*'. You'll need a VME rack, the mvme1x7 cpu board itself and, perhaps
the toughest to find, an mvme712 transition module.

Prices vary from $50 to $300 depending on the condition of the kit.

> 2) I'm thinking of trying to build some kind of a wearable unit, obviously
> running netbsd.  Any known projects / suggestions etc. would be
> appreciated.

VME racks are not exactly wearable, more like you'd need a wheelbarrow to
cart it around. ;-) Try the hpcmips port of NetBSD if you want really
small unix machines.

Cheers, Steve