Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.4 + MVME 167
To: Andre Grosse Bley <gandalf@infinity.ping.de>
From: Steve Woodford <swoodfor@bluews.com>
List: port-mvme68k
Date: 07/14/1999 09:00:32
Andre Grosse Bley wrote:
> Today i mananged to install NetBSD on my MVME 167-34A board, with some
> troubles:
> I got two "panic: mmu fault" while installing almost at the same place - while
> extracting misc.tgz. So i just installed minimum set and got this machine
> running. [Sorry, but i cannot provide an dump - only have a vt100 terminal,
> someone ŽborrowedŽ my serial cable set :(]

This is a known problem with the 1.4 kernel on mvme167. I uploaded an
alternate 1.4 miniroot and GENERIC kernel which work around the problem.
You can find them in:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mvme68k/mmu-fault-fix/

Unfortunately, due to an my extended vacation in June, the work-around
did not get pulled into the 1.4.1 source. I expect to have the problem
fixed properly by the 1.5 release.

> Now IŽve a strange problem : When doing Datatransfers (like ftp) i get
> "ie0: no carrier" messages, repeating speed seems to be controlled by transfer
> speed.
> I checked (replaced) the 10Base2 Transceiver, the cable (about 5 meters) looks
> ok (not selfmade), termination is ok, too.

This still sounds like a cable or termination problem somewhere. :-/

Cheers, Steve