Subject: Re: NetBSD port www homepage rewriters needed
To: Brian Ginsbach <ginsbach@spacestar.net>
From: Steve Woodford <swoodfor@bluews.com>
List: port-mvme68k
Date: 04/16/1999 10:51:26
On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Brian Ginsbach wrote:

> I've changed the page.  Does the new wording sound better?  Should
> the VMEbus driver be on the "Notes on VME boards" page as a part
> of the supported/unsupported on-board hardware?

Looks much better now. I think the VMEbus driver note should be
mentioned in both places.

> This was lifted from the Motorola Computer Group description.  I
> took it at face value.  I've changed it to "... is mostly hardware
> compatible ...".  Does this sound better?

Hmm, I'm still not convinced. What is worth mentioning is that:

  * Application code for any m68k-based NetBSD platform will
    run on both mvme147 and mvme167 without change.
  * If necessary, a single kernel image can be built which
    will boot on both types of board.

> + The "Known Bugs" sections for each board, are they correct?

Yup.

> + What are the chips for the MVME147 (serial, ethernet, etc.)?
>   I'd like to keep the MVME147 section to a similar level of detail
>   as the MVME167 section.

MVME147 Onboard Hardware:
	SCSI: Western Digital wd33c93
	Ethernet: AM7990 LANCE
	Rs232: Two Zilog Z8530 dual serial controllers

	The other MVME147 devices are implemented in custom ASICs

> + Is there a better description for the i82596 Ethernet controller?
>   Like who's chip it is?  (I'm showing my ignorance.)

Well, it's an Intel chip and the description is about as good as
it gets! ;-)

> + Any known working VMEbus RAM boards?  Sort of like the transition
>   boards list. (This list was taken from MCG documentation as the
>   supported boards for the MVME147 and MVME167.)

Any VMEbus RAM board which does not require software to set it up
should work. I can't remember the Moto part number of my VME RAM
board offhand.

I think the page looks pretty neat now. All we need, IMHO, is
permission to use Motorola's logos and it can be put in
www.netbsd.org. Thanks for the help Brian!

Cheers, Steve