Subject: Re: mvme147 problems...
To: Steve Woodford <steve@mctavish.demon.co.uk>
From: Frederick W. Koehler IV (Joe College) <koehler@valinor.chem.ohiou.edu>
List: port-mvme68k
Date: 08/17/1998 02:25:23
Took a chance and did surgery on my sun slc.  Removed the working nvram
chip and put it in the mvme147 system.  Did the reset/abort opperation
on the mvme system and found that (as expected) after the power on self
test, the message about battery problems was gone.  The 147-bug> prompt
came up as usual.

Did an env and found the values set to proper defaults (they had always
defaulted to the max. value previously), and didn't have to be set.
However, iot;h now says No Disk Controllers Available...which is very
different from the VME0 which is showed before.  iot;t still hangs.  How
long does iot;t take?  I'm giving it 1-10 minutes and it never comes
back.  A break from the terminal doesn't bring it back either, only a
power cycle or abort/reset.  st in 147-diag> still shows everything
passing.

One question--I have a six slot backplane, and currently have the
mvme147 in the same slot the original mvme132 68020 board was in.  There
are two empty slots and then the remaining three slots are filled with
the tape controller, six port serial board, and finally the winchester
controller.  In between each slot there are a series of jumpers,
however, there doesn't appear to be a set of jumpers for each slot, only
in the spaces between slots.  This leads me to wonder how exactly the
backplane is to be jumpered.  Should I have jumpers on each side of the
empty slots?  Maybe the hangs I'm getting at iot;t time are from vmebus
jumpering problems...

  Other bad news on the board is that after attaching an aui to thinnet
transciever on the aui port of the transition board, I see no light on
the transciever (no power to the port), and after loading s-records for
the sboot program, I get ethernet errors from the sboot program itself
complaining about bad ethernet.  I'm wondering if my mvme147 board isn't
completely munged...although it looks nice w/ the 147-bug prompt
up...netbsd or linux prompt would be much nicer...I'm not even picky at
this point...  Anyway, any info or tips appreciated...
Frederick Koehler               koehler@valinor.chem.ohiou.edu
Clippinger Labs 393             http://valinor.chem.ohiou.edu/~koehler
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701                Grammar Tip #15: eschew obfuscation
1-740-593-1934