Subject: Re: booting problem
To: None <kurkdj_m@epita.fr>
From: Steve Woodford <steve@mctavish.demon.co.uk>
List: port-mvme68k
Date: 02/17/1998 20:30:15
On Tue, 17 Feb 1998 kurkdj_m@epita.fr wrote:

> i have installed netbsd on my mvme147-s.

Nice to have someone else onboard!

> but when i want to boot from the sdO:
> 147-Diag> bo O,,b:

I assume you mean 'sd0', instead of 'sdO'.

> or 147-Diag> bo 0
> i  have the following error message immediatly:
> VMEbus error
> Long Bus Exception
> and some info on the crash.

Hmmm, two possibilities spring to mind. Firstly, change to 'Bug' mode and
check your PROM environment:

  147-Diag> sd
  147-Bug> env
  Bug or System environment [B,S] = B?
  SYSTEM V/68 or VERSAdos operating system [S,V] = S?
  Set VME Chip:
  Board ID [0-FF] = $00?
  GCSR base address [0-0F] = $0F?
  Utility Interrupt Mask [0-FE] = $00?
  Utility Interrupt Vector [$20-$3E0] = $0180?
  147-Bug>

You may also have some stale values in NVRAM locations 0xfffe0764 ->
0xfffe076b. If you clear these to zero, the kernel will not try to look
for (and clear) RAM out on the VMEbus:

  147-Bug>mm fffe0764;l
  FFFE0764 00000000? 0
  FFFE0768 00000000? 0
  FFFE076C 42025900? .
  147-Bug>

> ps : i can boot from the tape without any problem
> giving the root : sd0a

You may need to boot into the RAMDISK root on the installation tape and
re-install the boot-blocks on the disk:

  ssh: mount /dev/sd0a /mnt
  ssh: installboot /mnt/.bootsd /bootxx /dev/rsd0a
  ssh: umount /dev/sd0a

Note, you can do this as soon as the ramdisk root starts. There should be
no need to copy the miniroot from tape.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers, Steve