Subject: Re: scsi problems...
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Steve Woodford <steve@mctavish.demon.co.uk>
List: port-mvme68k
Date: 07/11/1996 21:52:17
Herb,

> I've been trying to get some drives working on the two mvme's we have
> here... Initially trying it on jonathan's 147, I got the following
> during boot:
>
> 		wdsc0 at pcc0 offset 0x4000 ipl 2: WD33C93 SCSI, target 7
> 		wdsc0: Inhibiting synchronous transfer ff
> 		sbicwait TIMEO @929 with asr=x30 csr=xff

That '@929' is the source line number within sbic.c. By the looks
of it, the WD chip isn't responding to the reset command.

> PCC      PCC Functionality Test........ Running ---> ..... FAILED
>         --SCSI Port reset signal is active

Now that *does* tell me something: It's basically saying that the
RESET line on the SCSI bus is stuck in the active state. Or at least
that's what the PCC thinks.

The WD chip isn't connected to the RESET line, but maybe there's
a cable problem.

> Replacing jonathan's 147 board with mine, I get:
>
> PCC      PCC Functionality Test........ Running ---> PASSED
>
> which is a good sign... But booting NetBSD, I still get the same error as
> above...

Try accessing the disks via 147Bug> Specifically the "iot;t" command.
If that doesn't pick up the drives, look for some kind of
interconnect problem. It could be a cable, the MVME712 transition
module, or the cable linking it to the VMEbus backplane.
If it does pick up the drives, try reading them using "iop".
If that works, let me know and I'll scratch my head.

Cheers, Steve