Re: NetBSD/sgimips 10.0 RELEASE on SGI Challenge S: INSTALL32_IP2x works, GENERIC32_IP2x kernel panics on boot after install

Hello again,

> On May 20, 2024, at 6:36 PM, Tim McIntosh <tmcintos%eskimo.com@localhost> wrote:
>
>> These kernels should differ only in the amount of drivers /
>> non-essential kernel subsystems built into them, the crash happens
>> *way* early, before any of those should make a difference. I wonder if
>> the kernel image got too fat and we hit some hidden firmware limit…

One other difference that I noted, but forgot to mention in my last reply, was that the install kernel also has space optimization enabled and memcpy inlining disabled:

makeoptions	COPTS="-Os -mmemcpy"

which might also align with your theory about the size of the generic kernel being too large.

Thanks,
Tim