Re: NetBSD on DECsystem 5000/240

On Sunday, January 21, 2024 at 07:13:55 AM PST, emu <e2kcpu%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Just yesterday I was looking at my 5000/240 and wondering, if the bigger
> graphics options were ever supported,
>
> (i860 anyone?) or even anybody tried.

I've seen photos of a CRT monitor with NetBSD's X11 on a PMAG-D or PMAG-E, circa NetBSD-1.6., 24-bit dep
The Xserver code did not use the i806, AFAIK. PMAG-F worked as well, using the same Xserver code.

I acquired a PMAGB-J a few years ago but havent been able to get it instaled in a working machine.
Kernel support appears present. I've also got a PMAGD-BA and -CA, but I've read those need more Turbochannel-slot address space than the boot-ROM on a /240 will give you, or than the 4MB HW limit in a 5000/200.

(( may be misremembering the 4MB limit from the PMTCE card that goes to the three-slot expander box for a single 2-slot and 3-slot graphics card).