Re: current issues on Octeon (ER-4)

Hi,

annoying about the root detection.  I don't have a good answer to
that part offhand, I'm afraid.  This is among the machine-
dependent code, and I guess it's the use of GPT for labeling
which the code isn't prepared to deal properly with.

> However, before long another problem emerged:
>
> netbsd-mips64# git --version
> [1]   Abort trap              git --version

I don't have a "real hardware" mipsn64-eb system going, but I do
have a VM run by qemu, and in my case this works nicely:

n64: {2} git status
On branch master
Your branch is up to date with 'origin/master'.

It took 7.88 seconds to enumerate untracked files. 'status -uno'
may speed it up, but you have to be careful not to forget to add
new files yourself (see 'git help status').
nothing to commit, working tree clean
n64: {3} uname -a
NetBSD n64 10.99.2 NetBSD 10.99.2 (MIPSSIM64) #3: Tue Jan  3 10:07:13 CET 2023  he%mt.urc.uninett.no@localhost:/u/build/HEAD/obj/evbmipsn64-eb/sys/arch/evbmips/compile/MIPSSIM64 evbmips
n64: {4}

(this is pkgsrc/wip)

However...  I wonder ... Since then, hasn't a new binutils been
imported and activated?  And can it have problems on this port?
I'm just guessing here...

> I tried to get a backtrace of this, but gdb did not recognize the git
> binary as something it knows how to run.

n64: {6} file /usr/pkg/bin/git
/usr/pkg/bin/git: ELF 64-bit MSB pie executable, MIPS, MIPS-III version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /usr/libexec/ld.elf_so, for NetBSD 9.99.106, not stripped
n64: {7} gdb /usr/pkg/bin/git
GNU gdb (GDB) 11.0.50.20200914-git
Type "show copying" and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "mipsn64eb--netbsd".
<https://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>.
    <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.

For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
Reading symbols from /usr/pkg/bin/git...
(No debugging symbols found in /usr/pkg/bin/git)
(gdb)

Hm, that's a binary for a newer kernel than what I run, but
looking at the package's +BUILD_INFO I built that myself while
running that version.  I appear to have downgraded, offhand I
cannot recall exactly why I did that, but I suspect I had
reasons...

As for gdb actually working, I seem to recall that I had problems
with that as well on this host; where gdb itself crasahed.

Regards,

- Håvard