Re: New project

On 7/28/22 00:36, nervoso wrote:

> all linux port are from known distribution => Debian, mostly, and as it
> is a Govern project
> and will eventually go against some "interests"... Remember that China
> was blocked from using
> the ARM ships and Android... Imagine that after you build 10,000,000
> kits,  USA blocks Brasil from using
> the EULA...  so even Linux is not an option... the Only options
> available are those that use BSD licence.

I believe you're in error. Nobody can prevent you from using free
software, no matter it's GPL or BSD licensed. Certain parts of Android
are NOT free software, and that should be the actual problem.

> FreeBSD, NetBSD... being NetBSD the lightest of all...  the Raspberry
> PI is ARM based...  we are thinking
> inclusive to put a price tag to some computer project companies to
> project  a MIPS compatible chip... (remember Loongoon??)  4gb of

Loongson is no longer MIPS. Now only the integer part is compatible
with MIPS, and they use some kind of modified UEFI BIOS.

> memory,  with some usb/wifi + small GPU and a that understand OPENGL
>  if one intend to build
> lets say: 10.000 chips...probably is not feaseable but we are talking
> about 1-2 million computers/year... if the the
> project costs 1,000,000 dollars,  and takes one year... that is

Each computer costs $1? I don't think that is possible.

> fine...as even China can product 1,000,000/year SOC
> It would take at least 4 years to supply 10% of the need... for you to
> have an ideia if only 0.01% of the money allocated
> to education in Brasil (32 billions dollar/year) is spend in this
> project ... make the math building such a computer (that is for
> educational only, so cannot be sold, nor will run any "commercial"
> software...so it is useless to be stolen). and it is given for free

It wouldn't be wise to limit which software the user can run on a computer.

> to 2nd grade students... this is the only way to rescue students from
> marxism indrocrination, besides it costs less than normal
> set of books... that contains gender ideology, indocrination.... we
> need to save the 10+ yo children because those 19+yo are doomed..

It's irrelevant. But you sound like an awful conservative.
Nobody is going to help you to build a censor machine here.

>> And what's wrong with high speed internet?
> There are NO high speed internet available to  students in 80% of
> Brasil... if you count on big cities like Sao Paulo, a poor family
> that send the children to school, they either EAT of use internet...
>  95% of the population uses public schools,  and from them, less than
> 10%
> have full internet access... with a MEDIUM salary of just 340
> dollars/month...how do you expect to give a decent computer access  for
> 2 children???

It's irrelevant. Having a Gigabit NIC won't hurt, and can provide
advantages if the computers are used in a classroom together.

> a basic desktop computer costs no less than 800 dollars (that is 2X+
> the mean salary)  the basic saralry of a FAMILY in Sao Paulo, is about
> 600 dollars/month rent, transport, is expensive, so food too...  and
> with internet access costing 20 dollars/month??? The schools have about
> 1000+ students, and less than 10 computers available...
> Only in the Amazon part of Brasil, there are 39,000 schools less than
> 1000 have SOME internet access...  there are 25,000,000 students... the
> situation is catastrophic... The ony way out is  technology  that can
> make knowledge to the children... if we succeed in give technology to
> only 10% of them we can make things change in 10 years...

You're likely to fail if you attempt to close children's eyes.

>>> We are looking something like the
>>> Ci20 https://www.mips.com/platform/mips-creator-ci20
>>
>> The JZ4780 used in the CI20 is already EOL and no longer produced.
> may be they can sell the the "blue prints??"

AFAIK it's not possible.

Recently I talked to them and they have a variant of X2000 which supports
external DRAM chips, SATA, and HDMI. Same 8k CoreMark performance.

>> If you're still interested in using Ingenic SoCs, the JZ4775 is still producing, however it's single core.
>> The alternative would be the X2000. It has 28nm process and newer MIPS32r5 cores. But the DRAM is built-in, and the biggest model has 512MiB.
>>
>>> of course we will need to hire NetBSD porters to and buy some chips to
>>> make it
>>> happen...   We are thinking in RiscV too but a real computer with riscV
>>> is too far away, ARM is not
>>> an option too because of copyright... and licences
>>> the project is expect to produce about 1mln (1,000,000) computers/year
>>
>> What's the exact meaning of the word "copyright" here?
> means that if the sofware of chip used have some kind of user licence,
> that licence can be voided
> that happen with China in during the Trump govern... the licence to
> china producce smartphones using
> ARM and Android was removed by USA, forcing China to its knees.. it is
> all business and money....  Raspberry py
> started its production with only 20,000 dollars... now they have some
> millions of RPI but it became too expensive
> besides, there is Rockchip too... but I do not know how it is licenced
> from ARM too...   I bought some rockcchip but
> but is is buggy...  perhaps the one used in Pinebook 64 pro works.... I
> have not tested yet...
>
> Regards,
> Sergio

It sounds like you are also trying to find a way to escape from
international law.

You already showed people the potential of censoring what the students
can see. I doubt there are people willing to do potentially morally wrong
things by helping you here unless you state your intentions clearly.

Regards,
Mike Yang