Re: Missing X binary

On Sun, 31 Oct 2021 at 10:28, Parodper <parodper%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was playing around on gxemul with a DECstation 3MAX VM, and found out,
> when trying to startx, that the xserver.tgz set does not include the
> eponymous X server.
>
> Am I missing something, or is it just not included?

It looks like it dropped out during an upgrade of the Xorg version
between NetBSD-7 and NetBSD-8 (probably when XAA acceleration support
was dropped). As it happens it should be possible to run a generic
Xwsfb X server, similar to VAX. I'll take a quick pass at building one
from current source.

However, unless I miss my guess, gxemul doesn't actually emulate
DECstation display hardware, so an X server may not help you.

On a related note, does anyone on list have a DECstation with display
hardware available, and who is interested in testing a X server built
from the latest NetBSD sources?

David

David