Re: Status of NetBSD on MIPS? And NetBSD on TP-Link?

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 12:17 PM, John Klos <john%ziaspace.com@localhost> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm curious if the bugs in NetBSD 6 which cause system instability have been
> corrected, perhaps in current, yet.
>
> I'm also curious if anyone's looked into getting NetBSD onto these wonderful
> little $25 TP-Link devices:
>
> http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr702n
> http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr703n
>
> These have a 400 MHz MIPS, are USB powered with a USB port, have 100 Mbps
> ethernet and anywhere from 8 to 32 megs of memory. Loading a new firmware
> image is as easy as using the web management interface. Of course it'd be
> fun to get a full kernel and running OS into 2 megs of flash and 8 megs of
> ram, which is something NetBSD can do but I don't think GNU/Linux can do
> anymore.
>
> Of course you can wire a serial port, too:
>
> http://wiki.villagetelco.org/index.php?title=Building_a_Serial_Port_for_TL-WR703N

Have you done anything with these? I happen to have both (WR702N and
WR703N) now. I got the 702 to use "for real" and it still has the
stock firmware. I probably won't change it. I put the OpenWRT firmware
on the WR703N and managed to brick it somehow even though I wasn't
trying.

I don't have a lot of time lately, but at some point I'd like to get a
serial console on the 703 and see if it will netboot a kernel, and
then the NetBSD fun begins. Do you know if it will?

Andy