Subject: Re: 64-bit paddr_t (again, arrgh....)
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 01/31/2006 10:03:34
On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 02:39:34PM -0800, Matt Thomas wrote:

> Garrett D'Amore wrote:
>
> >The MIPS64 stuff is going to be a problem, I think, almost no matter
> >what.  I cannot see that evbmips can properly encompass both a 64-bit
> >and a 32-bit kernel.  (Note that this is different than the 64-bit
> >part running in 32-bit compatibility mode.)
>
> mips64 will need a separate machine_arch.

I agree with Matt here.

I think that evbmips should be able to support both 32-bit and 64-bit
ports.  Issues about MACHINE_ARCH can be dealt with when they arise.
The same issues will also affect any other MIPS port with a 64-bit
capable CPU (which is most of them).

> >So can I take this as approval to go ahead and make that change, so
> >that paddr_t is 64-bits on all evbmips?
>
> Yes.

Same here.  If you can do some simple before-and-after benchmarks too
that'd be nice, but not necessary.

Also, does bus_addr_t (and bus_size_t) need to be 64-bits too?

Simon.
--
Simon Burge                                   <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
NetBSD Development, Support and Service:   http://www.wasabisystems.com/