Subject: Re: 64-bit paddr_t (again, arrgh....)
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 01/30/2006 13:33:20
--nextPart1588722.q3JMka9hi6

On Monday 30 January 2006 1:04 pm, Matt Thomas wrote:
> Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> > As Izumi-san recently pointed out, there is a problem with my current
> > approach of conditionalizing the size of paddr_t on 64-bit platforms.=20
> > The problem is that LKMs are likely to be impacted.  (Most of the
> > userland tools work fine, which was my original concern.)
> >
> > I would like to reach a decision on this as soon as possible.  My
> > preference is to just change the paddr_t size across the entire evbmips
> > port.
>
> does evbmips encompass any non-R4k processors?

In theory, it does becuase the R5k is also supported on Malta boards (it us=
es=20
a 64-bit ISA).  However, it is only supported while in 32-bit mode, or=20
effectively emulating an R4k (at least that is my understanding).

Right now the only two platforms that are supported by evbmips are the MIPS=
=20
malta evaluation boards and the Alchemy boards.

I know that at one point Simon was talking about merging in one or more of =
the=20
MIPS ports (sbmips?) into the main evbmips port.

=46rankly, it does strike me as a little odd that we have *so* many differe=
nt=20
mips based ports.  It seems like there should probably have only been one=20
master MIPS port covering all MIPS32 systems (or at least those with an R4K=
=20
mmu, which I believe is required to be MIPS32 compliant) and perhaps anothe=
r=20
port covering all MIPS64 systems.  The rest of the details about different=
=20
boards, etc. could easily have been handled as kernel config files, I think=
=2E=20
(The notable challenge being some early system initialization and boot load=
er=20
interfacing.)  I believe Linux does  it this way, FWIW.

=2D-=20
General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191