Subject: Re: MIPS bus_space macros vs functions
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 11/26/2005 00:22:25
On 2005-11-26 simonb@wasabisystems.com wrote:

> So we've saved about 35kB of text for one kernel, about 12kB for another
> and any performance changes are statistical noise.  Obviously including
> more bus_space aware drivers in a kernel is going to increase any more
> space savings too.

  IMO, this is a bad place to put a function call since it is only
desireable in the DEBUG case.  Drivers may already have functions for bus
access, plus the indirect call.  This would make three function calls to
write the bus, which seems excessive to me.  IMO, it would be better to
put the ADDRESS_SPACE_SANITY stuff inside the indirected functions, or at
least only use the extra function calls in the DEBUG case.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@city-net.com