Subject: Re: 2.1 Kernels do not boot when booted with
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Alex Pelts <alexp@broadcom.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 11/22/2005 15:31:14
Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
>>Somehow the kernels that work
>>from hard disk do not work when loaded over the network. The difference
>>is that from hard disk they are booted with ntbsd bootloader and from
>>the network with colo or builtin bootloader.
>

> I don't know about colo, but builtin bootloader can load
> only small kernels:
> http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/cobalt/faq.html#kernel
> so GENERIC won't boot with it though INSTALL kernel works for me.
I am very much aware of builtin bootloader limitations. Kernels that I
built are smaller than the limit. CoLo does not have any limitations, it
can boot kernel as large as available memory (at least that is what
documentation said). From my experience it does not have problem booting
  uncompressed or compressed large kernels.

What is the INSTALL kernel and how can I build one? Or where can I read
about it?

Thanks,
Alex