Subject: elf2ecoff results?
To: None <port-mips@netbsd.org>
From: Christopher SEKIYA <wileyc@rezrov.net>
List: port-mips
Date: 02/28/2005 22:01:37
All,

I've been trying to get -current working on sgimips.  Apart from the normal
bitrot, I've discovered an elf2ecoff weirdness:

* elf2ecoff cannot transmogrify the ELF SGI bootloader (ip2xboot) into the
  ECOFF SGI bootloader (aoutboot) -- the PROM complains that it's out of memory,
* elf2ecoff can transmogrify an ELF SGI installation kernel into an ECOFF SGI
  installation kernel.

Rudimentary object dumps state that the load addresses are where they should
be.  I suspect that this broke during the binutils upgrade and was not caught.
objcopy doesn't do the right thing either, fwiw.

Other ports (pmax?) use elf2ecoff -- are they broken as well, or is this
sgimips-specific?  thorpej's 2001 binutils patches, although somewhat
condemned by the FSF boys, seem to be a step in the right direction.  Was there
any forward movement on the issue after the initial responses?
--

-- Chris
	GPG key FEB9DE7F (91AF 4534 4529 4BCC 31A5  938E 023E EEFB FEB9 DE7F)