Subject: Re: gas warning on mipsX_subr.S
To: None <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: Paul Koning <pkoning@equallogic.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 02/25/2005 19:51:33
>>>>> "Simon" == Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com> writes:

 Simon> For the C compiler we use -Weror so that warnings are fatal.
 Simon> Can we do the same for the assembler?  This would have made
 Simon> the warning be noticed as soon as we switched to binutils 2.15
 Simon> - the warning didn't happen with binutils 2.14.

Yes, that would be good.  Ideally the assembler would pay attention to
a -Werror switch given to gcc -- but it doesn't.  But I think there is
an equivalent assembler switch and using it would be worthwhile.

 Simon> As a style issue, I think sparc uses a space indent on the
 Simon> next line for branch (and load?) delay slots, but the MIPS
 Simon> code I've seen doesn't.  ...
 Simon> I think the latter makes it more clear there's a BD slot.  Any
 Simon> comments from other MIPS folks?

I definitely like to see BD slots marked.  My personal habit is to
flag them with a comment, e.g., "# DELAY SLOT".  I find delay slots
a sufficiently troublesome misfeature that a blatant marking, rather
than a subtle one, is helpful.

     paul