Subject: Re: First tries with a custom toolchain to build NetBSD/mips64
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: Christopher SEKIYA <wileyc@rezrov.net>
List: port-mips
Date: 08/04/2004 14:08:36
On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 02:57:52PM +1000, Simon Burge wrote:

> What is the exact issue with the IP30?  Is it a firmware issue (that
> could be worked around by cheating on some bits in the ELF headers or
> using a 64-bit bootloader) or some other hardware issue?

Firmware issue.

The 64-bit bootloader is the right way to go, but unfortunately our MIPS
toolchain (specifically ld/as) won't deal with ELF64.

(I looked at this several months ago -- there's a flag that can be passed to
binutils configure to enable the 64-bit targets, but there were some nasty
conflicts with the build scheme for the native toolchain)

Converting from ELF32 to ELF64 via objcopy won't work, either; the IP30 load
address is firmly in 64-bit space, with no translation to/from the 32-bit
view of address space.

-- Chris
	GPG key FEB9DE7F (91AF 4534 4529 4BCC 31A5  938E 023E EEFB FEB9 DE7F)