Subject: Re: Unfinished business - +256MB RAM (3 level page table)
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Nigel Stephens <nigel@mips.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 03/19/2004 12:23:58
Matt Thomas wrote:

> At 03:44 PM 3/18/2004, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>
>> "Toru Nishimura" <locore32@gaea.ocn.ne.jp> writes:
>> > The introduction of "supervisor mode" was a mystery.   Someone will
>> disclose
>> > the (real) story behind it.
>>
>> It was introduced to try to get DEC to adopt it for its new machines,
>> I thought, since VMS needed it.
>

> Nope.  ULTRIX was always kernel/user and didn't use the supervisor or
> executive modes of the VAX.  Therefore there was no reason to have them
> in MIPS.  VMS was never ever going to run on MIPS so it wasn't added for
> that reason.

I have it from our chief architect, who did work at DEC in the past,
that there was indeed at some point a plan/hope to port VMS off the VAX
and onto a new RISC architecture. MIPS Computer Systems was pitching for
this business with its upcoming R4000, and while VMS apparently used 4
rings of protection, it was thought that maybe these could be shoehorned
into 3 rings, hence the addition of supervisor mode. But the R4000 lost
out in the end, and DEC decided to do its own internal CPU development,
which became Alpha.

--
                         Nigel Stephens         mailto:nigel@mips.com
    _    _ ____  ___     MIPS Technologies      http://www.mips.com