Subject: Re: Re: Booting!
To: None <port-mips@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <locore32@gaea.ocn.ne.jp>
List: port-mips
Date: 03/06/2004 12:53:02
Aaron J. Grier agrier@poofygoof.com  said;

>> R3000@25MHz is beaten by 486DX2-66, and rugs behind any 68040.
>
> from a build of 1.6.2 on my decstation 5000/200 (25MHz R3000):
>
> Build started at: Fri Feb 20 12:24:13 PST 2004
> Build finished at: Tue Feb 24 13:06:15 PST 2004
>
> release took roughly another day.

Ah, I feel a bit triumph since few 80386 or 80486 computers in that age
(late '80 or very early '90, do you remember VL-bus PeeCee?) are still
in service in year 2004, nor workable/useful/stable enough to complete
such the heavy burden combined with cutting-edge modern OS.  When
installed NetBSD on fully-equipped DECsystem 5900 just prior to be
discarded from service, which was 7 years ago, and recognized it was
slow CPU to be blamed as an obsolete computer.   I also felt at that time
it was regrettable DEC never intended to sell  R4400+TURBOchannel
PMAZC+DEFTA computers loaded with OSF/1.  It was a perfect
combination which was very competitive at that time frame.  Sometime
people are not smart enough to make right decision at right time.

Toru Nishimura/ALKYL Technology