Subject: Re: Port suggestion: NEC EWS 4800 series
To: None <optimus@canit.se>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-mips
Date: 04/21/2003 23:54:25
In article <200304211213.OAA14251@uno.canit.se>
optimus@canit.se wrote:

> It seems that Izumi Tsutsui owns half a dozen of EWSes, perhaps he
> could shed some light on their viability as NetBSD targets, if he's
> reading this?

Well, actually I have several mips based EWS4800 machines,
but there are few efforts to port NetBSD to them (yet).

The biggest problem is lack of information of hardware specifications.
Most devices (busses, Ethernet, SCSI, serial etc.) used by them are
well-known chips and there are many MI device drivers for them,
but much more information (interval timer, interrupt handling,
memory map of devices etc.) is required to porting OS.

Maybe EWS4800/360PX which seems to have similar hardware
and motherboard with Express5800/230 (which is supported by
NetBSD/arc) is good start point, but I actually realized
it's really boring work to investigate specifications of
undocumented hardware by trial and error during news68k port ;-)
---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp