Subject: Re: COMPAT_IRIX, N32, mmap for /dev/zero.
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: GIRISH V. GULAWANI <girishvg@yahoo.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 07/25/2002 06:25:34
> > > I almost wonder if we shouldn't have separate
> > >
> > > 	COMPAT_IRIX_O32
> > > 	COMPAT_IRIX_N32
> > > 	COMPAT_IRIX_N64
> > O32 is already in place. some syscalls are
> working, i
> > guess that is the reason i am able to use N32
> "sh".
> >
> > do we need to separate _N32 & _N64 support
> options??
> > Because I think the ABI layout is not different
> > between these two.
>
> With N64 pointers and longs are 64-bits too, so I
> would certainly think
> that you'd need separate compat options for N32 and
> N64.  That said,
> I've never really looked in detail at NetBSD binary
> emulation layer.
In fact I am totally newbie. However my final target
is 64bit apps. Hence I am setting modest target of
N32. That is why I am not really thinking about N64 or
tru64 kinda support.

> From a personal point-of-view I'm more interested in
> native N32 and
> (to a slightly lesser extent) N64, however GNU
> bintuils doesn't fully
> support these ABIs yet...
I have tried to compile in SDE toolchain for NetBSD.
It worked to a level after that I gave because some
how I could not add N32 support to it. I combined
Algor + DEC MIPS NetBSD combination to get the final
toolchain. It seems the N32/N64 can be compiled only
on IRIX platforms. In your idea is there anybody
working on this already??

Thanks.
girish