Subject: Re: COMPAT_IRIX, N32, mmap for /dev/zero.
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: GIRISH V. GULAWANI <girishvg@yahoo.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 07/25/2002 06:07:34
Hi, Simon.
Thanks for clarifying all the doubts in one sentence.

> > After adding COMPAT_IRIX option to the kernel I am
> > able to bring up the shell "sh" of IRIX 6.3, which
> > suppose is N32 type.
>
> N32 will not work with NetBSD at all; with the N32
> ABI "long long"s
> use a single 64 bit register.  Currently we only
> support O32 under
> COMPAT_IRIX.

However existing code does have IRIX N32 emulations
structure, since its there I presumed it's working. I
think N32 will be of immediate interest to many
(atleast to +me).

> I almost wonder if we shouldn't have separate
>
> 	COMPAT_IRIX_O32
> 	COMPAT_IRIX_N32
> 	COMPAT_IRIX_N64
O32 is already in place. some syscalls are working, i
guess that is the reason i am able to use N32 "sh".

do we need to separate _N32 & _N64 support options??
Because I think the ABI layout is not different
between these two.

thanks.
girish.