Subject: MIPS 64bit port status check. IRIX_COMPAT working??
To: None <port-mips@netbsd.org>
From: GIRISH V. GULAWANI <girishvg@yahoo.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 07/19/2002 06:07:43
Hi, All.

Past couple of weeks I'm studing 64bit implementation.
We even exchanged couple of mails on this forum.
Here's what I am doing with MIPS 20Kc board & would
like some help in this regards.

.1> I have attempted to compile Algorithmics toolchain
from source on NetBSD platform. In this I have tried
to mix NetBSD & Algorithmics build. It does compile
the kernel now, alright, however found couple of
problems with it.
  . For example for 20Kc option it seems there is lot
to be done. Command line options have some mismatch.
(I'll never understand why BFD in binutils & gcc is
not common?)
  . Concat macros does not compile. Hence the
mipsX_locore.S file gives compile errors with this
toolchain.
  . ABI calls are not supported. (Ofcourse this is
mentioned in the configuration.)

.2> In order to learn something about 64bit porting, I
am creating a RAMDISK image now in order to make
process faster. This disk image contains only init+sh
& ofcourse devices. With O32 binaries MIPS 20KC board
boots up in standalone & even with ifconfig working
fine, I can atleast ping here & there. (***I found
only one & good page written in Japanese, explaining
how to build RAMDISK on NetBSD hosts.)

.3> I'm trying to use N32 binaries like ls, sh from
IRIX. To support these binaries, the IRIX_COMPAT is
added. It detects O32/N32 separately, but stops
because I don't have N32 compiled libc for NetBSD. Now
could any body help me in finding out what to do for
the libc emulation?? I wonder whether anybody has
already tried N32/IRIX_COMPAT on non-SGI platform??
Has anybody started writing pmap(64).c for 64bit
support? AFA N32 support is concerned what changes do
we need in existing pmap.c?? I guess (just) by
changing libc interface of system calls existing
kernel should work as it is !!

Please help.
Many thanks & best regards,
Girish.