Subject: Malta-4Kc> Compilation, self-build kernel fails
To: None <port-mips@netbsd.org, port-evbmips@netbsd.org>
From: GIRISH V. GULAWANI <girishvg@yahoo.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 05/27/2002 04:53:07
Hello, All.

I've finally got down to make Malta-4Kc run NetBSD. To
begin with I installed NetBSD 1.5.2 from Wasabi CD on
a PC. Cross toolchain along with source code is also
installed. The base source version 1.5.2 is from
Wasabi CD. The arch/mips & arch/evbmips tree is
downloaded from CVS web. I understand that there is a
version mismatch in source code.

First of all I could not find a binary snapshot of
kernel for Malta, as announced by Wasabi. The evbmips
doesn't even exist in FTP sites. However the source
code is present in CVS-web.

During a first kernel build for "evbmips" BSP I got
lot of errors. Following were the steps --

<config MALTA>
.1 Command "config MALTA" failed. The makefile is not
available in this directory.
.2 I have copied makefile from sgimips directory.
Changed few rules for config.

QUE: WHERE IS CORRECT MAKE FILE??

<make depend>
.1 There were many errors here. It was mainly due to
source code version mismatch.

QUE: WHERE TO GET CORRECT VERSION SOURCE CODE??

<make netbsd>
.1 Somehow I was able to compile but due to
configuration mimatch lot of errors here too.

QUE: HOW TO BUILD CORRECT DEPENDANCIES??

<RUN>
.1 During run, it first fails to detect CPU (TI MIPS
4Kc).
.2 The alphanumeric display also does not show NetBSD
string. I fixed this by looking at Linux code. Is the
routine led_display_str() okay? Now display is
rolling.
.3 Now it hangs in timer calibration.

QUE: WHETHER CVS-WEB VERSION OF evbmips IS LATEST &
WORKING??

Could anyone please help me setting the things right??

Many thanks & best regards,
Girish.