Subject: Re: ncd hmx
To: None <port-mips@netbsd.org>
From: None <wwd@netheaven.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 04/12/2002 07:23:51
>I have one of these at work. Even have the CD with the proprietary
>software on it. Have it setup but it's not in use.

>> This is a mips R4600 thin client which _needs_ a non-proprietary os.
>>Lovely
>> machines.
>>
>> I'd like to start with something. Can anyone point me in a direction? This
>> machine sucks down it's os from any tftp server it finds - it wants a
>> hacking to get around its proprietariness, and then the os will want a
>> hacking to fit into the arch.

I have a houseful of 4400, 4600, 5000, & 10k mipsers. Will these each
require dedicated open-source OSen? If so, which has the best version
working today? Are the higher powered graphics boards a specific problem,
such that an 8-bit board would make the best choice? References/links much
appreciated. Or should I focus on my Sparc 20 instead? TIA.