Subject: Re: Embedding NetBSD
To: None <port-mips@NetBSD.ORG, port-embed@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-mips
Date: 04/30/2001 16:10:01
keith_siders@toshibatv.com wrote;

> I moved this to port-embed where it's more appropriate. But out of scope?
>
> ... the lack of texts on the subject makes lists
> like these ever more important, and relevant. The tech-embed list may have
> to eventually expand.

Sure, you're right.  To have quick learning curve, I recommend many
PDF files available in pulic.  They are free and available with no
delay.  Here is one which I wrote recently in port-pmax;

> I found a PDF from NEC Electronics is pretty informative to learn MIPS
> related products in market.
>
> ''VR Series 64-Bit Processors Development Tools Catalog ''
>
> It's available thru www.necel.com WWW site;
>
>     Top page -> Microprocessors -> Evaluation Boards -> (any of PDF icons,
>     they all point to a single PDF)
>
> The catalog provides Vr chip (from 4100 to 10000/12000) summary,
> companion chipsets by NEC or others, development tools and softwares
> sourced by outside NEC, evaluation boards and instrument tools
> available in market.  The doco is handy to read.

For bootloader or ROM moniter matters, there are freely available
program codes for such beasts.  Search and get through Internet,
Algor/LSI PMON, RetHat eCos/Redboot, MIPS YAMON, or others to start
looking at.   Note that they have no essential connection with NetBSD
by nature and that's the reasony why I pointed "out of NetBSD's scope."

Tohru Nishimura
Information Technology Centre
Nara Institute of Science and Technology