Subject: Re: MIPS cpu_fork() runs kthreads at splhigh()
To: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal.boni@eDial.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 04/24/2001 08:52:08
In message <200104240418.NAA27110@dec146.aist-nara.ac.jp>, you write:

-> > Folks:
-> >   From my quick peek at the MIPS cpu_fork() code, it looks like it
-> >   suffers from the same problems the Alpha and i386 cpu_fork()s did,
-> >   namely that it runs all kthreads at splhigh().
-> >
-> >   Attached is a patch that I believe should fix this.
->
-> The issue was spotted by Ethan Solomita, after NetBSD kernel was changed
-> to have kthreads for various purposes, and fixed by me.
->
-> From CVS commit log of NetBSD/pmax machdep.c;

Ah, I didn't realize it was done in the port-specific code... I kept
looking in generic MIPS code.  This explains why I couldn't find it.

My second question is 'why?'.  Why was this done in port-specific code
and not in the general mips code?

Thanks for any clues!
--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                              rafal.boni@eDial.com
 PGP key C7D3024C, print EA49 160D F5E4 C46A 9E91  524E 11E0 7133 C7D3 024C
    Need to get a hold of me?  http://800.edial.com/rafal.boni@eDial.com