Subject: Re: MachHitFlushDCache() call in vm_machdep.c
To: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-mips
Date: 05/29/2000 12:33:50
On Mon, 29 May 2000, Toru Nishimura wrote:

> I'd like to remove the following code segment from vm_machdep.c which
> is shared by all of NetBSD ports.  Unfortunately I have no R4000
> descenders at hand and no chance to check the removal is valid or not.
> Can MIPS3 owers verify the ommision makes no harm or does matter?

  I commented out that section of code and booted on a 5000/50.  It
appeared to work OK, but things hung up overnight.  I can't tell at the
moment if the hang was due to this change, or something else in the
kernel.  [This was a kernel build with very recent sources, so it's
possible that the problem could be due to other recent changes.]  I'm
rebooting with a kernel that includes the flush and will see how long that
runs.

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant