Subject: Re: R3000 SGI boxes
To: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Dave Olson <olson@bengaltech.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 05/02/2000 23:30:03
Toru Nishimura wrote:
|  > I'm much more familar with later systems (Indigo*, Indy and Octane).
|
|  BTW, are you interested in NetBSD/mips64 on IP27 (Origin200, Origin2000,
|  Onyx2, or sgi2100s)?  There seem a plenty of surplus of Origin200 which
|  never hit the market well.  Go CrayLink.

The linux port was mostly completed for the single chassis o200 (not
the o2000; that is, none of the NUMA stuff), and that includes no
support for paired o200s.  Supposedly it was near final approval to go
on oss.sgi.com months ago.  As far as I know, that still hasn't
happened.

When that's released, it shouldn't be too hard to do a netbsd port
if somebody is really interested.

The o200 was, by the way, an extremely successful system by SGI
standards, in terms of units.  Of course, a large sale to the
US Post Office for support of the address-reading equipment helped
that, but even without that, it's sold quite a few thousand units.

o2000 volumes are considerably lower by units, but in terms of number
of processors is probably close to the o200.

difficult to do a single port for the 4D2x and 4D3x systems (the latter
including the r3k Indigo, of course).  The system interface chips,
address maps and i/o buses were quite different, as Jeff mentioned.  No
doubt it could be done, but it would be an exercise in proving you
could do it, not something that really made sense.

There was a little bit of hardware doc on these, but very little
indeed except for the gio bus on the 3x systems ever made it outside
SGI, and nobody has done any work on them for at least 3 years at SGI,
and that late work was only on ethernet; "real" work ended at least 5
years ago.  Besides, they are painfully slow; only the truly historically
minded enthusisiast would be interested in using one these days.

Dave Olson
Owned by 6 cats, owner of none...
Personal:  olson@bengaltech.com        Work:  olson@geocast.com
           http://www.bengaltech.com          http://www.geocast.com