Subject: Re: R3000 SGI boxes
To: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Jeff Smith <jeffs@geocast.com>
List: port-mips
Date: 05/02/2000 00:02:53
Toru Nishimura wrote:

> Besides pursuing R4000 DECstation (and Qube/RaQ), I begun interested in
> SGI's R3000 desktop boxes like Personal Iris.  Does anyone out there have
> technical documentation/info about the R3000 product lines?  SGI dumped
> them, and all our site have are R4000 descenders (I have one Crimeson in
> storage... Ah...)

The documentation for the PI, and Indigo R3000 didn't seem as good
as the follow-on R4000 machines.  To be honest it would be hard to
even find someone inside SGI to round it all up.

The Crimson was an interesting machine, and the machine can boot
either endian.  It is basically an update of the Power Series
arch, which has had some info released to Stanford and AT&T (plan 9).

One other note on the PI, the 4D/2x and the 4D/3x (also Indigo R3K)
were different machines and would be a seperate mips port.

jeffs