Subject: Re: Port to NEC MobilePro 800?
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: port-mips
Date: 07/30/1999 00:27:50
: > That's because the linux effort is in its early stages.  There are a
: > group of Japanese people that have ported NetBSD 1.3ish to a target
: > called hpcmips.

I did forget one thing.  The NetBSD/hpcmips boots to multi-user (at
least single user, and if I read the Japanese right, Multi-user as
well).  It supports the MobileGear machines sold in Japan by NEC the
best, but does have support for the Everex A-{10,15,20} (and by
extention any of the remarked the HTC machines sold also by trogon and
maybe others).  The keyboard kinda works on some machines.  Most
people are using serial consoles and booting off 16M or larger
CF/PCCARD ata flash devices.  ne2000 and 3COM ethernet cards are
supported.  It is fairly far along, but still a hackers release.
Cross environemnts are available for FreeBSD, NetBSD/i386 and Linux
(or at least instructions for building and a pkgsrc thing).

A working knowledge of Japanese would be useful if you want to follow
developments closely.  I know that I've learned much Japanese while
working with them...

BTW, their main server will be down starting sometime today until
Monday.

Warner