Subject: Notes on NetBSD/arc #2
To: None <port-mips@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-mips
Date: 03/25/1999 14:49:25
Then, details in 'ARC chipset' boxes.

ARC chipset is consisted with three chips, where are manufactured by
LSI Logic in the case of Millennium PC50 at hand.

    - one 'core chip', labelled 'MIPS R4230'
    - two 'other chips', 'MCT-DP ARC-2'

NCR/Emulex SCSI, National SONIC, genuine Intel FDC, Western Degital
COM/LPT, '64bit video' IMS G364, unidentified sound controller are
under control of this as 'local bus' devices.  Here is the list of code
source to be involved;

    - SCSI	dev/ic/ncr53c9x.c
    - COM	dev/ic/com.c
    - LPT	dev/ic/lpt.c
    - PCKBC	might be painful by necessity of converting 'dev/isa/pckbc.c'
    - FDC	where is MI fdc.c refered by pcmica/fdc_pcmica.c?
    - SONIC	SONIC driver found in mac68k is not fairly good, and I
		decided my mind to rework it using Algorithmics code to
		have true MI version.
    - SOUND	what is it?
    - VIDEO	it's ok to have NWSCONS

Implementation of DMA also needs thought and work.  The machinary
could be designed like SparcStation as a separete "dma" device node
from SCSI, FDC, SONIC and SOUND.  It can do 'VDMA' by manipulating
simple 'trasfering descriptors' on runtime.

Millennium PC50 has one 'EISA' connector beside memory slot labelled
with 'Color Graphics' silk screen print.  Mine has no hardware
installed in it and I've never succeeded in booting the system in
serial console mode...  God, save me, please.

Tohru Nishimura
Information Technology Centre
Nara Institute of Science and Technology