Subject: Re: Audio device
To: Adam Kranzel <adam@blacktabby.org>
From: Marco Trillo <marcotrillo@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/26/2007 23:18:54
Hi,

On 12/26/07, Adam Kranzel <adam@blacktabby.org> wrote:
> Marco Trillo wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've been working on some improvements for the audio device drivers
> > and I thought it would be nice to add support for the currently
> > missing audio devices.
> >
> > If you are interested in audio support and have one of the following models:
> >
> > - iMac first generation (rev. A-D)
> > - PowerMac G3 'Blue&White' (or 'Yosemite')
> > - PowerMac G4 'PCI Graphics' (or 'Yikes!')
> > - Power Macintosh G3 beige with a Bordeaux personality card
> > ('DVD-Video and Audio/Video Card').
> >
> > then I would be thankful if you tested a driver that should get
> > working audio for all of the output ports. These modes have the
> > Burgundy audio IC, which is not supported by our current awacs(4)
> > driver (even if it attaches) since (unlike the Screamer) it's
> > different from the AWACS.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Marco.
> >
> I have a blue&white G3 I could test on, though it'd have to be boot off
> a CD or something, as the machine doesn't normally run NetBSD.

No problem; I have a ramdisk-based kernel with the audioplay(1) and
mixerctl(1) utilities which can be booted without a NetBSD partition;
so you can mount for example a USB device or a CD with WAV files and
play them within the ramdisk with audioplay (Audio CDs can't be used
as they play through the CD drive and not through the system output).

I'm building the image and I'll send you the location to download it.

Thank you very much!

> beige G3 that I could do a full install on, though I don't know what
> personality card is in it. How do I find out?

They usually have the Whisper personality card unless it's replaced by
a Wings (the 'Audio/Video' card) or a Bordeaux (the 'DVD-Video and
Audio/Video' card).
The audio system in the Whisper and Wings cards is supported in
-current; the one in the Bordeaux card is different and uses the
Burgundy IC.

The type of the card can be seen in Open Firmware in the 'compatible'
property of the /perch node.

Thanks,
Marco.