Subject: Need help with a booboo
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/23/2007 20:46:45
Hi, all,

I have a number of older macppc machines which are colocated and out of
reach. One of them I recently swapped into my New York location (I'm in
Los Angeles). However, I seem to have made a booboo and I need some help
figuring out how to fix it.

Many machines, such as the iMac G3, have IDE controllers which can do
LBA48, but the Open Firmware on them doesn't support it, so we end up with
a system which can run NetBSD on any size drive, but can only boot from
the first 128 gigs.

My New York system has a 750 gig drive with an HFS+ partition on which
there's a NetBSD install kernel and ofwboot.xcf. I set it up to boot from
the NetBSD partition, /, which is the rest of the 750 gig (besides the
HFS+ partition and swap), and it worked. However, when I tried to update
the kernel recently, the system wouldn't boot past the bootloader.

So... Is there any way that anyone knows to either read and write HFS+
from NetBSD (to put the new kernel on there - and it can't be a solution
which requires a new kernel)?

Or is there any way to write a file and have the system write it somewhere
specifically so as to make sure it's somewhere in the first 128 gigs of
the drive?

Thanks very much,
John Klos