Subject: Re: Seemingly random SIGILL in SMP
To: Michael Lorenz <macallan@NetBSD.org>
From: Allen Wong <allen@submoron.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/05/2007 08:42:27
--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP

Michael,

-> in both -current and 4.0 I occasionally see processes dies with =20
-> SIGILL, apparently at random. Looking at the core files revealed that =
=20
-> the faulting instruction was always part of a PLT table, apparently =20
-> they're not always flushed out after writing them. I can't reliably =20
-> trigger the fault but building something non-trivial ( like a =20
-> userland ) usually runs into it at some point.
-> So,
-> - - does anyone else see this?

Yes, I do whenever I try to build the userland.  It usually takes me five or
six tries before completion.  I also get the occasional SIGSTOP and SIGBUS,
I believe.  It's very random, it will almost never happen again at the same
place.

Since I couldn't find anything about this on the net, I just assumed that i=
t=20
was bad hardware, cpu or ram.

-> - - if so, in SMP or in UP as well? I've never seen this with an =20
-> uniprocessor kernel.
->=20

I'll build the userland in a UP kernel tonight and let you know.  My iMac G3
has never had this problem and is extremely stable.

-> I changed the powerpc-specific part of ld.elf_so to flush the cache =20
-> in a more consistent way and since then I haven't seen any SIGILL and =
=20
-> my G4's been building stuff from pkgsrc all night.
->=20
-> If you see those SIGILL on a recent -current please try my patched =20
-> ld.elf_so ( just dump it into /libexec, you might have to use install =
=20
-> instead of cp though ) and see if they go away. The binary is here:
-> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/macallan/macppc/ld.elf_so
-> built from yesterday's sources.
->=20

I'll test the new ld.elf_so as well.

Allen
--=20
You have received an email.  Please reboot for the changes to take effect.
 8:20AM  up 13 days, 11:19, 2 users, load averages: 0.72, 0.69, 0.61

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP--