Subject: Re: ppcoea-renovation interrupt problems?
To: John D.Baker <jdbaker@mylinuxisp.com>
From: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/06/2007 13:49:46

Hello,

On Sep 6, 2007, at 06:49, John D. Baker wrote:

> On 05 Sep 2007, at 10:52, Michael Lorenz wrote:
>
>> - - how old are your sources?
>
> They were updated a couple of hours before I posted to the
> mailing list.

ok.

> There is a twist, though.  Instead of updating ALL of sys/arch to
> "ppcoea-renovation", I only updated the PowerPC ports except pmppc.

All you need for a macppc kernel is arch/macppc and arch/powerpc -
plenty of files were moved, added or deleted so you better clean out
OBJ and such.

> I tried wiping out my tools and obj directories and updating sys/arch
> completely to "ppcoea-renovation", but something was still looking for
> files in "sys/arch/pmppc", which no-longer existed.  Perhaps I should
> try again.

Hmm, no such problems here.

>> - - what does your kernel config look like?
>
> .../src/sys/arch/macppc/conf/GENERIC
>
>> - - any chance to attach a serial console and catch kernel output?
>
> Is it possible for the boot loader to set up a USB serial device for
> console?

Not really.

> How about a PCI serial port card with 16550A-type UARTs?
> There's no serial hardware in the machine and the only third-party
> ESCC devices are long since discontinued and unavailable.

Not without some hacking - macppc relies on the firmware to tell it
what's the console.

I found something very strange - I get gem timeouts with the snapper
driver removed but it works fine when snapper attaches. No idea why
exactly, the driver doesn't touch any of uninorth's power or clock
enable registers as far as I can see, only enables the i2s clock which
is part of mac-io and shouldn't have anything to do with gem. Will
investigate further.

have fun
Michael