Subject: Re: iBook problems and solutions
To: None <ma-500@rj8.so-net.ne.jp>
From: Masafumi Hotta <ma-500@rj8.so-net.ne.jp>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/19/2007 22:50:32
Hello,

This is what I've tried to work -current on clamshell iBook G3 since
last month.
I hope this report will help somebody.

Apple iBook 466MHz Special Edition Key Lime (FireWire) (M8245LL/A)

Booting GENERIC kernel, it stoped almost finish to boot.

boot device: wd0
root on wd0a dumps on wd0b
root file system type: ffs
panic: cnopen: no console device
Stopped in pid 16.1 <init> at   netbsd:cpu_Debugger+0x10:   Lwz   r0,
r1, 0x14
db>

I happened to know the command "dmesg" is available on that case, and
found unfamiliar messages.

db> dmesg
machfb0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0: ATI Technologies Rage Mobility M3
(AGP) (rev. 0x02)
machfb0: 64 MB aperture at 0x94000000, 16 KB registers at 0x90000000
machfb0: 16384 KB (unknown type) 14.318 MHz, maximum RAMDAC clock 230
MHz
machfb0: chip ID mismatch, 0xff7f != 0x4c46

On 3.1 Release, dmesg looks like this:

ofb0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0: ATI Technologies Rage Mobility M3
(AGP)
ofb0: 800 x 600, 8bpp
wsdisplay0 at ofb0 kbdmux 1: console (std, vt100 emulation)
wsmux1: connecting to wsdisplay0

So I made the kernel config file comment out this line,
machfb*      at pci? function ?    # ATI Mach 64, Rage, Rage Pro
and built.

This special kernel booted fine, and I installed the new userland(with
X). Updating to -current was finished.

I referred to these pages:
http://www.netbsd.org/docs/current/
http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-build.html

After that, I tried to use X with "startx" command, but screen was
black. About this problem is the next post.

Thanks,
Masafumi Hotta