Subject: xserve firmware
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: DataZap <az@datazap.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/16/2007 15:11:14
Hi,

There was a lightning storm a few weeks ago and my xserve went down. I
was not able to get it to do anything until yesterday. After taking the
lid off, and pushing some buttons I was able to get it to at least show
the apple can't boot screen. It still didn't seem to do what it was
supposed to, so I held down the option-apple-O-R (I think?). I could then
get to the open firmware with option-apple-O-F.

I then put into the openfirmware:
setenv boot-device hd2:,\ofwboot.xcf
setenv boot-file hd:0,/netbsd
setenv boot-command boot
setenv auto-boot? false
reset-all

When it came back up, I typed boot and it booted NetBSD, so I did a
shutdown and when the open firmware came up I set auto-boot? to true and
then reset-all, but it wouldn't boot. So, I cycled the power and held down
option-apple-O-F, then typed boot and it booted. So, I thought maybe the
hard drive was not spun up when it tried to boot. Then tried shutdown -r
now, but once again the screen went black. I have googled and look through
the archives of this list, but I can't seem to find a solution. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Al