Subject: Booting partition type example
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/31/2007 00:42:19
Hello,

I'm doing some testings on various disk partitionning to boot NetBSD on my
Mini. The Mini would run NetBSD only - no Mac OS instance at all. It would
run netbsd-4 as HFS+ is not r/w yet in -current (as I understood).

I tried using an ISO9660 like partition - I dd a bootable iso image on
this partition. This works but it's a bit "complicated" to maintain - in
case of release upgrade, ...

I've just tried a FAT32 partition but it does not seem to work on my G4
machine.

I thought of using the Mac OS X Install CD to copy ofwboot.xcf and netbsd
kernel on an HFS+ booting partition but I didn't try it yet as I would
like to only use NetBSD to maintain the Mini.

What are you guys using as a disk layout (especially which boot partition
type) when running NetBSD only on your OpenBoot v3 machine ?

TIA,
  Jo